Tekla Trusses to Revit - some trusses don't want to go through the ether

Hello everyone,

for a big industrial project we have a lot of trusses, which we need to transfer from Tekla to Revit. We have decided to not import it via IFC or the RVT Exporter of Tekla but via Speckle.

As only the geometry is necessary for the Architects (clashing and linking of structural elements for drawings) we decided to import the geometry as a “mesh to direct shape” via Dynamo. The idea is that the colleagues regularly update the trusses by hitting the sync button in Dynamo.

The issue we are now having is, that the Speckle Tekla connector doesn’t transfer everything to the cloud. I can provide you with the Tekla file, showing the bad apples. Please let me know via PM, as it is a bit too big for the upload (although we have already reduced its size :wink: ).

As I’m already on it … I know this is an alpha connector … some feedback for you guys and gals :slight_smile:

After opening the connector:

• the property tab of Tekla is not working anymore
  • Operations like creating beams are not usable or cannot be closed
  • profiles in Tekla cannot be deleted

Maybe this is also a user mistake on our side, but might be of interest to you if it is not on your radar. Sadly I don’t know for sure, as I’m not having a Tekla license at hand. If you are interested, we can schedule a meeting :slight_smile:

All the best and thank you,
Alex

3 Likes

Hi @AlexHofbeck ,

Thanks for bearing with the Tekla Structures and the feedback. You can message me directly PM and we can schedule a meeting to go through this directly.

We’re also working a Mesh to Direct Shape option import for Revit to help ease that workflow easier. You can see the discussion here: Option to recieve direct Meshes for Objects? . So you don’t need to go through the dynamo workaround

Cheers,
Reynold

2 Likes

Hi @Reynold_Chan,

the upload issues with these trusses are gone now. I have tried it out with 2.8.0 alpha 3. Great work!!! I still had to push it over with multiple branches, as the connector was able to “only” push around 10000 elements in this specific case … but definitely not bad. Really impressive!

The viewer also handled the around 50.000 elements pretty well by adding the branches piece by piece!

Also, your Tekla connector is now way more stable than when I first tried it out!

When it uploads the whole shop in one piece I owe you more than a few drinks :sweat_smile:. Keep up the good work guys!

Best,
Alex

4 Likes

I’m glad we’re able to help :slight_smile:

Thanks for the support and the patience.

Cheers,
Reynold

2 Likes

Thanks for the praises :slight_smile: next step it to have it go through in one go!

Any chance you could share the source model via PM? We want to see if it’s hitting the API size limit (currently 25MB) or something else.

3 Likes

Dear fellow Specklers,

as a follow-up for dear @Reynold_Chan and the rest of the team … you guys are coding :man_mage:! Thanks for all your hard work on this :heart_eyes:!!!

End of the story:
I tried it again with the Tekla 2.9.0 beta and the Speckle Server 2.9.0. The conversion went through like a charm and also in a decent amount of time :).

• On the public speckle.xyz server the upload worked fine and took like 10-15min.
  • Tried the same procedure on our B+G Speckle Server, and the transport aborted … I believe that NGINX might be the issue. I will figure that one out on my end and will let you know about the solution in this forum.

The interesting part:

• Selecting the category showed only the beams and around 48.435 elements. By selecting the sole category option “beam”, the upload went through.
  • Selecting the everything option showed around 212.655 elements. By selecting the upload everything from Tekla, Speckle was not able to convert the whole model. It seems that not every category shows up in the category filter and maybe those non-supported categories are blocking the process. Only an uneducated guess of mine.

It is too big for your new viewer, but this is fine … we just need the transport.

@Reynold_Chan: It shows agis instead of Tekla, but I believe you have this issue already on your list.

Thanks for all your hard work on this … and I repeat myself … it is really appreciated!

Best,
Alex

2 Likes