Speckle v1 and hestia.speckle.works

For legacy reasons, we are trying to make some v1 features work.
using hestia.speckle.works gives us this error on Unity 2018( also speckle v1). I am under the impression that this was working.

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request ---> System.Net.WebException: Error: TrustFailure (One or more errors occurred.) ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> Mono.Security.Interface.TlsException: Handshake failed - error code: UNITYTLS_INTERNAL_ERROR, verify result: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FATAL_ERROR

Perhaps a cert renewal is in order or is there a way to guide me to bypass the cert verification, or make speckle use a custom cert verification?

Thanks

Hey @eugeneida ,

Unfortunately, we’re not supporting v1 anymore and wouldn’t be able to update hestia’s certificate.
It seems like the error could be bypassed by updating the Unity version used?

Alternatively, we’d be very happy to help you upgrade to v2 - just let us know!

Hi @teocomi. Thanks for the quick reply, I needed to check a few things before replying. Anyway, i think that speckle is not the issue when upgrading, its the rest of the legacy code we have is locked into particular versions of software we used to create it. And speckle v2 doesn’t work for unity 2018.

At this point it might be worth it for us to recreate the v1 server temporarily. However, I note that there is no tag for v1 versions (there is, however for V.2.2 onwards it seems). Do you happen to know or have handy a particular commit id / instance where I can use to recreate a v1 server?

Understood, sorry we can’t help!

All the v1 code is in a separate repo, in another GitHub organization, here.

Also quick ping to @dimitrie in case he knows any hack valid for the cert issue and to @Jedd in case he knows any Unity 2018 workarounds.

Hestia’s cert is legit:

I suspect this something to do with the .net client/old unity version/bit rot… maybe @Jedd knows more (i see he’s typing now!)

This thread might be of use as to why this error occurs c# - Unity TlsException: Handshake failed UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_NOT_TRUSTED - Stack Overflow

The first reply ^ mentioned some intermediate certificates related things (that are a little over my head).
The second reply mentioned some Lets Encrypt issues fixed in Unity 2018.4.18f1, so hopefully you are on something newer.

Unity 2018 has been end of life for over a year now, I can’t realistically provide official support for it in v2.

That being said, Have you tried building our v2 connector in Unity 2018?
With a bit of work I it maybe possible to get a build working, however I can only provide minimal assistance.

Hopefully you can understand our position.

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the responses.

The second reply mentioned some Lets Encrypt issues fixed in Unity 2018.4.18f1, so hopefully you are on something newer.

I am on an earlier version and upgrading to 2018.4f1 gives me quite a bit of errors. Let me see if I can solve this first, it seems to be the path of least resistence (? hopefully). The current urgency is to get that part working for our current users.

That being said, Have you tried building our v2 connector in Unity 2018?
With a bit of work I it maybe possible to get a build working, however I can only provide minimal assistance.

I have and I do get a bit of errors that go to the DLL (IIRC previously). If the above fails I may try this route instead.

Hopefully you can understand our position.

Yes, thats totally fine. Thank you for the help so far.