What are RevitInstances in Power BI?

Hello Speckle Community,

I’m trying to import a full model from Revit to Power BI to have an easy access, including visual of the model, of my walls, floors, doors, windows etc.

Though I have encountered a ‘problem’ with the ‘Speckle_type’. I have approx… 450 windows instances, divided into 32 types, in the model. Even I copy paste the window (same type, family etc) it only count the window 1 or 2 times as a ‘Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.RevitElementType:Objects.BuiltElements.Revit.RevitSymbolElementType’ and the rest as ‘Objects.Other.Revit.RevitInstance’

How can this be? I have one type of window which is showed correctly with a total of 66 windows, but this is also the only one where there is 66 occurences of a ‘BultElement’ in the query.

What could the solution of this be? Thanks for taking the time.

2 Likes

Hey @Lasse ,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself :person_gesturing_ok: to the community if you want to! :grinning:

This happens because we are doing some optimizations to make sending and receiving faster. In short, if you have multiple copies of the same element, we create a definition for one, and the rest are essentially instances of the same definition with different transform values (location, rotation, and scale). This makes it incredibly fast to send and receive, especially if you have hundreds of identical instances. If you want more context, you can read the entire blog post below:

Thank you @gokermu,

Is there anyway to extract the amount of occurences of this specific Revit element instance?

This is due, i want to extract the area of the frame and the glass in the window. And there by i want the amount of Revit Element Instances to extract the total amount of glass and frame.

And! Thank you so much for the quick response.

Hey @Lasse ,

Currently, we don’t have an out of the box solution for this. But you can follow the steps described in the below thread to get what you want:

Thank you @gokermu. It worked. Now i need to see if i can handle to get the data i need.

Thank you for the help

1 Like