Speckle + Rhino Inside in Revit

Hi guys!
First of all: Speckle is great! Thank you!

I have a question that is divided in two. The first is if I’m missing something by seeing Rhino Inside and Speckle as an interesting combination. Are there better workflows for automatic querying Revit-files with custom filtering logics?

The second question relates to data conversion. In the picture, I generate a grasshopper-mesh from a Revit door. The mesh is then transformed into a Speckle-Object (that seems to be a speckle mesh).
When i expand the object, it outputs Autodesk.Revit.DB.Mesh, and i have no solution for transforming it back into Grasshopper mesh.

When i send the stream, and receive it in a Grasshopper file not inside Revit, the output is proper grasshopper-mesh, so the problem only occurs while being inside Revit :slight_smile:

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum, thanks to you for using Speckle and for the feedback! :smiley:
Feel free to Introduce yourself 🙆 if you’d like!

Speckle and Rhino Inside are definitely a great combo, how you use them really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you can elaborate more the “automatic querying Revit files with custom filtering logics” we will try to suggest something.

With your second question, I’m not 100% sure what’s going. If you could share a link to the stream with the Grasshopper door mesh I’ll have a look. My assumptions are that it might due to how Rhino inside extracts data from Revit, or simply it could be a bug with our Expand User Data component.
You don’t need to create a Speckle Object to send the mesh since it’s a supported data type, you should be able to send it as it is via Speckle.

Also, we’re slowly deprecating Speckle v1, in favour of the upcoming release of v2 which will have a much improved Revit integration and better Grasshopper nodes, stay tuned!

Hi - thank you for your quick reply!
Oh, thanks, I’ll do that

About the filtering: I’m building a custom room object that also contains its furnitures, doors rooms etc, and would like to organize and extract this data before leaving the original Revit file.

Here’s the link. Seems to work perfectly in the viewer too
https://app.speckle.systems/#/streams/o69ydnvmo/sharing?s=eyJzZXJ2ZXIiOiJodHRwczovL2hlc3RpYS5zcGVja2xlLndvcmtzL2FwaSJ9

Very much looking forward to 2.0!
Thanks again!

1 Like

Gotcha! Well that door (as you said) is a proper Speckle mesh, so it seems the Expand User Data is not behaving properly when running in Grasshopper inside Revit. Unless @dimitrie has any ideas, I’m afraid we won’t be able to address this issue, but hopefully it won’t affect you too much!
Definitely give this a try with 2.0 and let us know if the issue persists.

In regards to extracting Revit data, our v2 Revit connector behaves very similar to the current one, from its UI you’ll be able to select what types of elements to send (by selection, category, view, property etc). Data could be then processed further and filtered in GH.
If you have any ideas on how to make it better or more versatile we’re all ears :smiley:

Thank you for your help!

2.0 is looking good - I’ll update you when I’m up and running

1 Like

2.0: All good!

1 Like

Awesome, glad to hear that! :smiley:

1 Like