Hi everyone,
I’m experiencing a strange issue with the Speckle 3D Visual in Power BI and I’m wondering if anyone has experienced something similar.
- Setup:
- Power BI Desktop
- Power BI Service (published report)
- Speckle 3D Visual
- Revit model uploaded to Speckle
- 6 pages in the Power BI report
- Each page contains one Speckle 3D Visual
- All 6 visuals point to the same Speckle model
The model works perfectly in Power BI Desktop.
However, after publishing the report to Power BI Service, the 3D model does not render the first time a page is opened.
- The behavior:
For example:
- Open the published report → Page 1 → 3D model does not load
- Navigate to Page 2 → 3D model does not load
- Go back to Page 1 → 3D model loads correctly
- Navigate to Page 3 → 3D model does not load
- Go back to Page 3 → 3D model loads correctly
In other words, each Speckle visual needs to be rendered/activated a second time before the model appears.
The important point is that the issue is not specific to one page or one model. The same behavior occurs on all 6 pages, even though they all use the same Speckle model.
-What I’ve tried:
I’ve tried several variations of the report and different configurations, but I haven’t been able to resolve the issue.
I also created a very simple test report with only one page and a single Speckle 3D Visual containing one model. The exact same behavior occurs there: the model does not load when the report is initially opened, but it appears after navigating away from the page and then returning to it.
So the issue does not seem to be related to having multiple pages or multiple Speckle visuals in the report.
The most interesting part is that the model appears to work correctly once the page/visual is activated a second time.
This makes me wonder if this could be related to the initialization/lifecycle of the Speckle 3D Visual in Power BI Service, perhaps related to the initial container size, rendering, WebGL initialization, or the visual’s update()/resize lifecycle.
Has anyone experienced this behavior?
Is there a known issue with the Speckle 3D Visual in Power BI Service where the model only renders after the visual/page is activated a second time?
I’m happy to provide screenshots, the PBIX structure, browser console errors, or any other information that could help reproduce the issue.
Thanks!
