Rhino / Grasshopper to Revit

Hi there,

Just trying a simple setup here to transfer data from Rhino / Grasshopper into Revit.
its a simple model, a structural grid for now, columns and beams.

Did a rhino inside revit version that works quite well.
The result is like the image below.

My problem is that i cannot do the same with speckle.
While trying to do the same with speckle as detailed below i get an error in revit. (this is just the first level columns).

Error in Revit is that
”Objects failed to bake due to a fatal error!
This is likely due to scaling issues - please ensure you’ve set the correct units on your objects or remove any invalid objects.

Revit error: Change Offset Value so that Column height is not 0.0.”

Speckle stream with the data is:

Maybe i did not setup a parameter propperly but did not come accros any kind of documentation for that.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Hey @Ionut_Anton !

I think the parameters field does not currently support values that are Elements
I’ll double check the code, but probably the easiest fix for now is for us to add a Top Level input to the Slanted Wall component.

P.S.
Parementer names should be inputted either:

• exactly how they appear in the UI eg. Top Level
  • or with their Revit BuiltInParameterName

Hi there,

Problem is the script does not work at all, with the toplevel or without.
and toplevel is not the only parameter i want to work with.
I would like to add a baseOffset adn topOffset so how do i add these parameters to the column component?

Cheers

For base and top offset you can just use:

Base Offset and Top Offset as input parameter names, I’ll try put together a quick working example later!

Hi there,

Gave it another shot.
Looks like beams i can send succesfully with parameters.
stream for beams test branch: Speckle

But unfortunately colums i still get the same error from speckle when receiving the stream:
”Objects failed to bake due to a fatal error!
This is likely due to scaling issues - please ensure you’ve set the correct units on your objects or remove any invalid objects.

Revit error: Change Offset Value so that Column height is not 0.0.”

Stream for columns branch: Speckle

And the grasshopper script for columns looks like this.

i cannot send columns without a level.

Please advise.

Hey @Ionut_Anton !
Apologies I forgot to get back to you, next time you should ping me :wink:

Here’s what I would do to create columns:

Note that:

• I’m using the Level by Name node, this is recommended if you already have set up levels in Revit
  • I’m using the RevitColumn Vertical node, since I noticed all your columns are vertical (and this has inputs for top-level too)
  • I’m inputting the stream from a URL, saves a bunch of nodes
  • the input offset is in meters, since the Rhino document is in meters, while the Revit document is in mm

Let me know if it works, gh file attached!

PS
I just noticed the RevitColumn Slanted is not working as expected! I’ll look into it.

gh_column.gh (10.3 KB)

1 Like

Great. thank you.
didnt realize there was another type of column node.

Cheers.

1 Like

Quick update, I’ve fixed the slanted clomuns (structural columns in Revit).
For these, you don’t need to specify a top/bottom offset or top level, as they are automatically inferred by the position of the baseline endpoints.

Any other issues/questions just let us know!

Sample usage:

1 Like

Hi there,
now vertical columns work like a charm.

The only thing that mislead me was that vertical columns are in the Architecture tab in Speckle 2 Revit and not in the Structure tab. And both read in Revit as Structural columns.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Oh! Thanks for that suggestion! We’ll move it to Structure since it makes more sense for it to live there. :+1:t3:

1 Like

I am running into the same problem as @Ionut_Anton,

And i tried the simple example as well, but I am still getting the error?

I placed one column by hand, to check the Family and Type. I also tried to flip the input curves (maybe they are upside down).

1 Like

Hey @Joelmick we have fixed the slanted columns but have not released a new version of the connector yet.
You can expect it early next week, otherwise, let me know if you’d like a beta release and I’ll make it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A beta release would be great, thanks!

That’s ready for you to grab, please install both revit and gh, and let me know how it goes!

Awesome, it works perfectly now!

2 Likes