Revit - Speckle - ETABS mappings and levels and grids

Hi,

Sending data into Speckle from Revit looks all good in the speckle web viewer. But when I receive the data in ETABS I can’t seem to find a way to map the elements. Also, how are the grids and “storeys” handled. Do these need to be pre-configured?

Any help, would be much appreciated.

thanks
Matt

Hello @BIM_Wash

Currently there isn’t any mapping availible in the ETABS connector. However, it is still heavily under development and element mapping is high on the list of priorities.

There is support for creating stories on receive, but only if the stories originated from ETABS in the first place. We are not turning Revit levels into stories. Would this be a useful feature for you?

2 Likes

Thanks Connor,

Great to hear the ETABS connector is under heavy development.

Element mapping similar to CSIXRevit would be essential IMO. An equivalent of Section 2.0 of the CSIXRevit manual would be ideal, as it is a bit of a guessing game at the moment.

CSIXREvit manual

Cheers,
Matt

2 Likes

@connor any updates on this one? Keen to see if there have been any updates on the mapping options.

Hi @BIM_Wash, apologies for the radio silence. We will improve the Revit - ETABS mappings further and better support for levels is something we could do in the next release, @connor will keep you updated when he is back from his holiday.

1 Like

We had the same issue testing a stream from Revit to ETABS. It also didn’t create grids or levels. Also tried the other way from ETABS to Revit. It requires the section sizes already loaded in Revit. Is it possible to have create new types based on the section sizes?

1 Like

Hi @bjoern has there been any further development on the Revit to ETABS workflow? I notice there has been some advancements with the Rhino to ETABS workflow, but was curious to know if the above had been resolved to match the CSIX mapping. thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey @BIM_Wash!

Long time no speak :cool_spockle:.

I am in “stocktaking” mode at the moment, so perfect timing to bring this post back to life. Looking at your original post it seems that all 2D surfaces are missing and all 1D framing objects get mapped so standard steel sections. This is and should be fixed :raised_hands: :

• 1D elements - assuming you are sending the analytical frames from Revit and these frames have, through their associations in Revit, the correct cross-section assigned? Can you give that a go and let me know if that works?

• 2D elements - again assuming that you’re sending analytical surfaces this should work! Note for walls, that these need to be manually “meshed” / split correctly. A single surface object representing a wall containing openings won’t be received in ETABS. This is not a Speckle thing but a host app “issue”.

So, this leaves storeys and grids. The CSI API is a little tricky here. Is this a desired feature? Are there any other features you’d love to see?

2 Likes

will give this a test and let you know if i run into any issues. will be a fun exercise with the 90 story tower we are currently working on

2 Likes

Always good to start small :wink:

1 Like

So, this leaves storeys and grids. The CSI API is a little tricky here. Is this a desired feature? Are there any other features you’d love to see?

Yes, please ! There’s also the issue of axis rotation that’s still pending and is related to all of this. See post below :

2 Likes

Hey @Gab!

Thanks for the clear explanation and the feedback. Noted and on my list! :cool_spockle:

cc: @BIM_Wash @AlexHofbeck

2 Likes