Revit Roof to Sketchup

Objective
I share Revit models thru Speckle to a design architect who needs to edit the model in Sketchup.

Issue
Roof elements from Revit are created in Sketchup as a solid. These solids can not be manipulated in the same way as the other elements with the push pull tool. Also any material that is applied to the roof element wraps from the deck to the fascia, instead of allowing different materials for each face.

I notice that the “Speckle_type” for the roof is a “polycurve” and the other elements are specific “RevitElementType”. Is there a way to make the roofs not come in as solid/polycurve?

Hi @BrianTDA,

Welcome to the community!

The roof you mentioned already typed as Objects.BuiltElements.Roof, I believe you wanted to point out its outline property is polycurve based.

Regardless, SketchUp uses displayValue of the roof object that contains Mesh objects that represent the solid. If you want to be able to manipulate faces of the received roof, you can still do. You might need to change soft property of the faces to be able to pushpull.

Still, it is not clear to me in what shape you wanted to receive the roof in SketchUp if it is not polycurve or solid?

I would like to be able to edit it in the same way the walls and floors are. When you edit a wall or floor you can select a face and push/pull. Using push pull on the roof elements results in “Cannot Push/Pull curved or smoothed surfaces”. I don’t know Sketchup that well, but was unsuccessful in finding a way to convert these roof solids to faces that act like the planes of the walls and floors.

Hey @BrianTDA ,

Welcome to these parts. As @oguzhankoral said, you can unsoften/unsmooth those edges. Here’s a YouTube video that covers hidden geometry and how to work with them:

TLDR: Show hidden edges, then you’ll be able to extrude any face.

2 Likes

Thanks, for the help. I was able to find that setting and get the model in Sketchup to do what I wanted.

2 Likes