Question: Why can't i edit some blocks sent from rhino in revit

I have sent a block in rhino using speckle but i want to change the material and texture in revit its not editable

Hi @Geoffrey_Maina , welcome to the forum!

Currently, if you’re sending blocks containing solid geometry to Revit, they will be converted as direct shapes in the corresponding generic model family. Unfortunately Revit doesn’t allow users to modify the material of direct shapes after they are created, but I believe you can override some appearances in the family editor.

I’d love to know what you’re trying to do with blocks in Revit, as our current implementation is very basic without a better understanding of different use cases. Definitely a lot of room for improvement there :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi thanks for the reply.
I don’t understand what you mean by “but I believe you can override some appearances in the family editor”
The reason am transferring the block from rhino is when I want to use a certain family in Revit but in the downloads you cant get a Rhino version of that particular family.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on this? It sounds like perhaps you’re looking to generate Revit family instances from Rhino block instances, in which case our community member @Cillian_Warfield wrote a fantastic tutorial you can check out here!

1 Like