Power BI Slow Interaction with Received Data

I’m having issues with a slow stream as well, on the data side. Is there a way to download this so I can do all the manipulations I need in power query and then connect back to a stream when needed. I have a revit model which has a ton of objects I need to filter through and nested parameters that need to be expanded. Its taking a couple of seconds for each operation in power query and its really slowing down the process.

1 Like

Hey Benjamin!

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been having long receive times with our Power BI connector. That’s definitely not what we want for our users. Our team is always working hard to improve our connection, and we’d be happy to look into this for you.

Could you please share the Speckle Model URL with us? We’d love to take a closer look and see if there’s anything we can do to improve your experience.

If you have a screen recording of the issue, that would be amazing! It would really help us to understand what’s going on.

Regarding your question about saving data locally, you can use Python to save it as a JSON file. Alternatively, if you are familiar with Grasshopper, you can save the data from there too. Once you have your data in JSON format, you can import it into Power BI. However, if you want to use 3D visualization, you will need to extract the Stream URL, Commit Object ID, and Object ID from your JSON data, which can be a bit tedious as this process is not automated.

We are planning to introduce a feature that will enable you to select the parameters you want to send along with the geometry. However, implementing this feature will take some time since it is a significant change in our UI/UX.

As a temporary solution, I suggest adding an additional filtering step in Grasshopper if you know how to use it. You can filter the geometry and only keep the parameters that you are interested in. This will make the model significantly lighter and improve the performance of the Power BI connection.

Happy to share the stream Is there a support email I can send that too? Just to clarify the 3D is working fine, its the database that takes a bit of time to navigate. Once its set up its fine. Is there a way to load rather than stream data in PowerBi, even if you are getting data from an API? I have data from airtable also coiming in and there was a dialog box that i accessed at some point that gave me an option to load/import vs stream data. Not sure how I got there, but that seemed to help since Power Bi had a local copy of the data base rather than streaming the whole database.

1 Like

You can send me a DM here!

That’s a valid request and we can take a look at it. Can you share the details of your airtable connection? Links and screenshots always help.