Mesh Texture Coordinates

I’m using Speckle to pass around mesh geometry, and for the geometric data it’s working really well, certainly much better than saving to intermediate files. However, I’m having trouble applying colors to the mesh… I’m trying to use the texture coordinates (which I assumed would work similar to shading WPF/Helix Toolkit meshes?) but these seem to have zero effect on the output, and when I interrogate the mesh objects (with ‘view objects’ in the rhino browser) I can’t even see the texture Coordinates property.
So, I guess I have two questions: (i) are texture coordinates supported and (ii) can someone provide an example of how they work.
Thanks!

Hello @AlBal2! @TomSvilans did implement texture coordinates at one point, and i commented it out because it was increasing mesh size by ±30%, even when none were present/needed.

Doing things like this:

Gets you this coloured mesh online, and a coloured mesh back out in gh too.

I know texture coordinates is something different, and the RhinoConverter is actually scaffolded to accept this as an option. See L28 for the flag and the mesh conversion implementation here, which takes it into account.

What’s needed is a way to set that option somehow via the UI somewhere…

Thanks @dimitrie! I’ve got colours working for my meshes now which is cool. I’m adding a Speckle sender to our own in-house app and this gives the functionality I need. Will look into texture coords another time…

2 Likes

Would love to know more on how you’re using speckle, and what that in-house app is! Happy it’s working.

I had an example somewhere of exporting Texture Coordinates as additional User Data, but I think we never got around to posting that anywhere, because we got into the discussion of how to create some kind of toolkit or contribution library for scripts, snippets, components, how-tos, etc.

If you want, I can find it and post it somewhere.

if it’s easy to dredge up, for now the forum is an as good as it can get place!

The app provides some finite element post processing tools for engineering design - we’re importing FE results (from Robot or ETABS), carrying out some additional design work on the data, then exporting the processed design data to Revit or Rhino. We were using intermediate files to exchange data, but looking forward to using Speckle to avoid that… will post some images when it’s properly working.