Introduce yourself 🙆

Yay more introductions!

@luis can’t wait for the next time we can have drinks IRL.

@chris.welch definitely remember you among the other presenters, it was indeed an eternity ago! Would love to see the procedurally generated worlds you mention, it’s maybe time for an off-topic category…

2 Likes

Hi everyone I’m Jak! :wave: My background is a little different. I’m a hobbyist game developer working on the Unity and Unreal Engine plugins for speckle. Currently I’m working with AKT II and helping shift the focus from our internal legacy object model to prefering using Speckle and contributing to that work. We even have some preliminary connections to software Speckle currently doesn’t have public kits for and we hope to slap an MIT licence on that work this year (no promises though)!

I studied computer science with games development and ended up working in Arup with @teocomi and @dimitrie where they introduced me to Speckle and gave me general guidance in the early days of my career. I’m continuing to follow Speckle and work on the plugins as a means of broadening my skills as a software engineer and also because I really admire where Speckle came from and how far its come.

I typically spend my time making games or playing them. The dream is to publish a game and make a fiver in profit so I can buy a big mac.

6 Likes

Hey everyone, John Pierson here.
I have been watching speckle from a distance for a little while now and admire the work you all have done.

I started out doing development when I learned Dynamo, moved to some python, and now make Revit add-ins in C# primarily. I also publish a few okay dynamo packages, (Rhythm, Bang, Monocle). Before that, I was the “Revit power user” for an architecture firm, which oftentimes meant translating data from one platform to another.

I believe we have some pretty neat use-cases for Speckle coming up soon, some for our use at Parallax, and some for clients. Specifically, I have clients looking for self-hosting options for data that do not use the thing that starts with F and rhymes with Gorge.

Looking forward to diving into this more here soon!

8 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Mishael (Mish)!

I recently graduated with my structural engineering degree from the University of Toronto. I previously interned at Arup for around a year where I had the privilege of working on building projects as well as developing various automation tools. This led me to be involved with Speckle, namely giving birth to the GSA connector (and the absolute privilege of working beside @dimitrie and @teocomi :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man:).

I’ll be starting my PhD studies at the University of Cambridge this October on a topic more rooted on structural mechanics and robotics which I suspect will have little opportunities to integrate Speckle, but I’m excited to see where Speckle 2.0 goes and follow along its development!

When I’m not working, I’m usually either looking for the next food place to try out, playing video games, or fiddling around on my cello.

8 Likes

Hey @mishaelnuh! I remember you did a weekend trip to Edinborough(?) while on placement in London, and you came back with a Nintendo Switch, which you proceeded to carry every day to the office IIRC. As impressive as you hammering that GSA connector. For the record, Mish also

• re-wrote and re-structured three quarters of the documentation
  • had fun with lambdas and stream processing
  • most likely fixed more bugs than he created :smiley:

For the audience here, it seems like we need to have more funky robots* in our UI according to @j0hnp: https://twitter.com/60secondrevit/status/1298656680612376577 - which we totally agree with. Happy to see you here, and you will be pinged!

We’d be totally happy to help you out with those if we can. It’s a bit of a weird moment for us right now - pushing 2.0 out in its larval stage, but totally down to still flex 1.0 (but not enhance).

*Those funky robots were introduced to me by the one and only @antoine (who is busy working for the ladybug tools). Here’s the source: https://robohash.org

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Stream Revit model from 2020 to 2019

Hi everyone, I’m Nic Burgers (yes you say that like the food)

I’m currently working for Arup as a Design Automation Developer and currently maintain three repositories started by the talented @mishaelnuh - SpeckleGSA, SpeckleStructural and one within Arup for a fledgling SpeckleETABS plugin.

I actually have an engineering degree - in software though - and a science degree (majoring in applied mathematics, which I’ve completely forgotten by now). What I most enjoy though is working directly with “real” engineers on real projects - and Arup is supporting the use of Speckle on many great projects.

On the side I design & assemble CNC-cut plywood furniture (like this), mostly for my own place so far. I’ve been working on Rhino/GH automation tools to make myself more efficient in doing this, which I’ll soon use for some custom kitchen cabinets.

In other news, if you want to know how to up your daily intake of vegetables, I’m your man. If you want to learn to eat well without added sugar, I’m your man.

And lastly, I’ll mention for no reason that I eat homemade scones (with reduced strawberries instead of sugary jam) gratuitously on my own DIY deck.

6 Likes

hey fam :slight_smile: David here! Happy to be hanging with this crew!

Similar story as most. Graduated from architecture school a couple of years ago and found my interests for fabrication leading me into everything vr. I strung together some half baked ideas about vr + architecture for my thesis which most likely has more grammar issues than cohesive thoughts.

I showed some peeps at Sasaki this nonsense and found myself joining the Strategies team to keep poking at this research. Since then I’ve been absorbing all things virtual in hopes to learn the in’s and outs of creating digital content. I mainly swimming around the Unity + Rhino waters with the occasional dip into Touchdesigner and AfterEffects.

At the moment I’ve been digging into Speckle to help streamline workflows for tools that we develop. Our lil’ team has been focused on exploring ways to connect typical spatial/environmental analysis to our designers toolkit in hopes to have the analysis influence the design rather than diagrammatic after thought.

As someone that depends on StackOverflow and Youtube for learning code/dev stuff, I’m really excited to learn from the crew here! :slight_smile: Oh, and when I’m not battling against Unity I might be gaming on the switch/PC, hiking, or trying to get my cat to show love.

4 Likes

<3 your side hustle of cnc furniture is a goal of mine :slight_smile: !

3 Likes

That makes two of us. At least :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi all!

I’m Tom and I’m an architect. I’m based in Copenhagen but used to live in London and Canada before that. I am due to defend my PhD sometime this fall, which is about developing a digital material practice in free-form timber structures - mostly using curvy, bendy glulams (or “woodles” :wink: ). It is also part of the same EU-funded research network that @dimitrie is part of, which is how I got mixed up in this business.

I develop SpeckleBlender and PySpeckle (along with @izzylys and @antoine). I’m keen to see more interoperability and new and exciting workflows between design modelling, visualization, material behaviour, and digital fabrication. I work a lot with CNC machines, robotic arms, 3d scans, and glue.

I’ve recently also released GluLamb - a toolkit for modelling free-form glulam structures - which is available on Food4Rhino as a Grasshopper plug-in. I’m also thinking about how these modelling tools could effectively interface with Speckle, and how Speckle could be leveraged to make great early-stage design tools for architects, engineers, and timber fabricators.

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

Isn’t that the… 4th (?) round of introductions? :sweat_smile: well… at least this time the thread won’t get swallowed by sneaky greedy slack :face_with_raised_eyebrow:… so here am I:

My name is Paul, I think Speckle is really cool and like to do stuff with it. I’ve been following its evolution since circa 2017 when @dimitrie was still developing it during InnoChain, while I was doing my PhD (which I successfully defended last April on Zoom thx to covid-19 yay :partying_face:!) that involved some Speckle-based “experiments” (please refer to the methodology chapter to understand what an “experiment” means :thinking:) - so kinda the same story as Tom.

After a year and a half at UCL working on some deltas and Speckle papers (check out the “References” tab in the latter) and some weird holidays :mask:, I am starting in less than 24 hours at Gensler London as part of their Design Technology studio. Really looking forward to this new journey which should (:crossed_fingers:) include some Speckle and McNeel magic that @luis mentioned above :wink: !

Regarding the what-I-like-to-do-when-I’m-not-reading-stackoverflow bio part, I like hiking and bouldering whenever I can, and dream of walking the entire PCT one day, so if I ever disappear you know where to (not) find me :slight_smile:

In the meantime… see you around in the forum!

5 Likes

Ha! At least I managed to beat you to it! You, and you only, are now obliged to adress me and @pauldotnet starting with “Dr.”.

Great to see both you and @pauldotnet participating in what practically is second or third introduction round :smiley:

Not quite the 4th. I hope. Anyway, why are we doing this again? The previous n round of intros were done on slack, and they disappeared behind the 10k messages paywall - which, to be honest, felt quite sad.

TBH, I my first reaction was also “wait, another intros round?” - and both @izzylys and @teocomi heckled me until I wrote something. And I’m not regretting it - I love how many pet pictures we’re getting in!

I’ll share one too:

This was Spooky, the majestic Stefanescu Family Guardian. She sadly passed away last autumn at the ripe age of 17 :crying_cat_face: and I’m still missing her one year later!

6 Likes

Yeah me too! I am on the job, but if it is going to be “great” just time will say! :sweat_smile:

I am open to opinions :grin:

Ownn, I’m sorry :disappointed_relieved: :broken_heart:

3 Likes

Hello Speckle community :wave:

I’m Cyril, graduated in energy and thermal engineering, working as an HVAC/energy engineer in my own company of 2 people and currently do research work related to energy and IFC at EPFL. I have been working on Revit, FreeCAD and getting into Blender. I am trying to contribute to Open Source Architecture community innitiative (OSArch) I am just starting to explore Speckle trying to figure out how it could enhance interoperability.
My first programming language was the ugly VBA behind Excel (except if you count HTML). I am now programming mostly in python. I created pyRevitMEP a MEP extension for the great pyRevit and I am trying to share some stuff I learned on my blog.

6 Likes

Hello @cyril, welcome!

Great to see such a strong commitment to OSS, I confess I should be learning more about FreeCAD and Blender too :grin:

Hope the community will be of help in your explorations, and feel free to share anything you’ve done with Speckle in the #general:made-with-speckle category if you’d like.

See you around!

1 Like

Hi all, happy to be here. My name is Danil. Like many of you, I studied architecture and practiced for a few years, but always been obsessed with computation and creating new tools. I worked for five years at Autodesk Research, focusing on automation, Generative Design, Machine Learning. After leaving ADSK I wrote an open-source optimization plugin for Grasshopper as a side project and to support my own work and teaching. Earlier this year I started as CTO of Deluxe Modular, working with a great team of designers, developers, and researchers to build our own in-house tools for managing the lifecycle of our buildings (planning → design → construction → management).

I met Dimitrie some years ago at a workshop (I think SimAUD, in Delft, I believe… :thinking:) where I spent a day in a room with him learning what Speckle was all about. Since then I’ve been really interested in the project and glad to see how it’s progressed. We’ve started to use the Speckle viewer on our front-end, and poking around with the Revit plugin as well. Looking forward to bugging you guys and getting to know you more as we keep hacking.

I’m a big believer in open source and the importance of designers being involved in creating their own tools. Glad to be here, and happy to share ideas, experiences, and code with this community. When I’m not working (which is constantly) I’m working on my own renovation project, which is teaching me a lot about how not to do architecture :man_shrugging:.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! Just realised I hadn’t formally introduced myself yet!

My name is Alan Rynne and I recently joined the Speckle team to help make Speckle 2.0 a reality! As for my background, I studied Building Engineering with a Master’s Degree in Parametric Design for Architecture. I taught myself how to code through out university and never stopped since. Over the years I’ve done quite a bit of C# and some full-stack web development.

I’ve played around with Speckle in personal and professional projects, while also trying to introduce it to my students whenever possible.

Looking forward to meeting you all and help out in any way possible!

4 Likes

Hi, everyone! I am jumping in from the Green Mountains of Vermont, USA, on the border with Quebec and with a very rare perspective as a wood structure and CAD/CAM veteran who now has a cross-border professional role with the nonprofit member group QWEB, or Quebec Wood Export Bureau. We’re committed to open BIM, developing standards and collaboration protocols for the wood industry, and our members are a quiet but really productive and capable practice community. I’m not an advanced coder at all but have led some good dev teams as an informal architect/wood structure veteran/generalist and our current project is a free Plug-In for Revit. I came here first last year for a sense of where the open source AEC community could go, and it’s not only stayed on my radar but grown to the point I’m glad to jump in and learn some more. Thanks for the great work and sorry in advance for some basic questions I’m sure to ask!

5 Likes