Include ACIS definition of geometry in commit and include type of geometry as property

Transfering information between AutoCAD/C3D and RVT is always been a challenge.
Right now, for transfering geometry (e.g. solids), a BREP containing meshes is composed. The problem here is that usually, the geometry speckle type is also ‘Mesh’ and thus, we do not know anymore if it was supposed to be a solid or a mesh.

The problem here is that when transferring geometry from 1 application to the other, the geometry is changed and when cutting this elements, it is not possible anymore to have a hatch on these geometryobjects anymore. now, adding the ACIS Solid definition of the objects, we can easily transfer it to either a solid in AutoCAD/Civil3D or a DirectShape (or FreeForm element inside a RVT instance) that is usable as a BIM object again. Keep in mind though that the ACIS definition of the solid is usually on coordinates. Currently we created this functionality on our own using basic translations of Dynamo itself and export-import SAT (and a JSON indexer with properties) to serve our needs…

Would love to hear your ideas about this!

1 Like

Sorry not sorry for the bump of this old topic because a project team is interested in the ability to send objects from Revit and receive them as solids into Civil 3D, which I think perfectly fits in this topic.

They have explored Speckle and Autodesk data exchange. With Autodesk it is possible to go from Revit to Civil 3D and receive the objects as solids. Using the same test model, Speckle generates meshes when received in Civil 3D. The project team asked if it’s possible to get the same result (solids in Civil 3D) with Speckle because they prefer to use Speckle.

Are there any plans around receiving solids in Civil 3D to improve the connectivity between Civil 3D and Revit?

2 Likes

It’s great to hear that your team prefers Speckle @JdB ! Revit Connector can currently only receive breps but support for solids/breps on send is definitely our long term goal. I can’t give a you any timeline as the task has its own complexities but your feedback helps us to prioritise. I will keep you posted, thanks.

2 Likes

Hi pavol, as a designer at an architectural firm, I do have to agree that sending geometry back as solid/brep is a crucial part of our workflow and must be prioritized in a design firm. Working with meshes once it is sent to a desired application is not ideal as it doesn’t give us enough flexibilty to manipulate it.

2 Likes

It is the same on our end for everything sent from Revit, those BREPS are not great in Rhino to handle. @ltascheva and @mtam in case you want to add something. No pressure but high on wishlist :slight_smile:

1 Like