How to reference models/versions by URL in FE2

Hello! :slight_smile:

I am referring to two different “types” of URL in FE2:

• the model URL .../model/abcdef0123 (which always points to the latest model version)
  • the version URL .../models/abcdef0123@abcdef0123 (which points to a specific version)

Referencing a project or model in daily work-life (either as link or embed or …) both URLs might totally make sense - depending on if I want to always reference the latest model or indeed a very specific version.

… But getting the wrong URL might lead to confusion (I think quite easily, since different versions usually look very similar).

Therefore it would be nice, if the FE2 could be a little bit more clear about that, so everyone (who isn’t aware about URLs and IDs) would also understand and use the relevant URL.

So maybe always use the version URL (even when just opening the model (and not just when switching back to the latest version from a previous)) … then I could copy/paste the browser’s URL and be sure to reference this specific model (which might be the thing I usually intend to do?).

Or have two options for copy link/copy ID under share? … like copy model ID/link vs. copy version ID/link?
But in the viewer itself I would tend to always expect the full version ID/link (including @), and maybe in the project overview page the URL would ‘just’ be the model URL?

To avoid accidentally working/viewing an old version, there could always be some kind of “it’s not the latest version”-batch.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Some very good points Stef, especially about more visibly in letting ppl know they’re not viewing the latest version - it’s not obvious for new folks…