Grasshopper -> ETABS Problems

Hello Speckle Fans,

I try using the speckle connector to send Rhino/Grasshopper Data into ETABS. I want to define the “Stiffness Modification Factors” of a slab via grasshopper.

I using the CSIElement2D component, there is a input called “modifiers”. If I put a simple list with numbers into it, the components get red (doesn’t matter how much numbers I put into it). If I convert the numbers with a “Create Speckle Objects” into a list object, it still doesn’t work. I didn’t found a documentation of the different nodes and I am out of ideas. Can someone help me with this problem?

Test-SpeckleETABS2.gh (49.4 KB)

1 Like

@Pavol: can you guys take a look at this for the next release cycle?

I did some more testing and got some more problems and questions. Here you can find the topic:

[Grasshopper → ETABS Problemes - Help - Speckle Community]

Thanks in advance,
Janek

1 Like

Hello SpeckleCommunity,

I try sending structural elements from Rhino/Grasshopper to ETABS. We are using ETABS mainly to calculate forces, stresses, and deformation of the core for high-rise buildings. Therefore, we usually have a large model with a lot of slabs, walls, beams etc. To change some parameters parametrically we also use grasshopper. My current version in the speckle-manager and its components is 2.17.0
When I am using the CSI-Speckle-components in grasshopper there are some problems. Maybe I did something wrong in the grasshopper script? I didn’t find a good documentation or example files. Has anybody found a solution to my problems or can send me a working example?

The problems are:

• Apparently the “modifiers” Input for CSIElement2D or CSIElement1D dont work. The component changes to red, no matter if I put numbers in a normal list, convert the list into a Speckle-list with the “CSO”-component or filter it though a “number”-component.
  • I can’t get speckle to crate walls. There is no “wall”-component in the CSI-specific components. The normal component from the “Speckle 2 Structural” doesn’t work.
  • Face-Loads are not working. There is no “CSI-load-component” and the normal load-component from “Speckle 2 Structural” doesn’t work. The Load Patterns are not defined, and the loads are not applied.
  • Material properties defined in Grasshopper using the “Concrete” Component in the “Speckle 2 Structural” are not defined correctly in ETABS. Only the name does appear, any other values are not changed in ETABS.
  • CSI-Diaphragms get defined in ETABS but don’t get applied to the slab.
  • End-releases are not defined in ETABS.
  • Apparently there is no way to define “Story Data” or a “Grid-System”. There is no component in the CSI-Tab and the component “Storey” in the “Speckle 2 Structural” does nothing.

Things that are working correctly but can be improved:

• the metric units for a slab and a frame are inconsistent. For a slab [mm] are used, for a beam or a column [m] are used.

Here I define the walls:

Here you can find the gh-file:
Test-SpeckleETABS_forum.gh (45.1 KB)

Thanks,
Janek

1 Like

Thanks @Jazi, I am already looking into the modifiers report you already made - thanks for confirming it is more comprehensive than just the CSIElement2D

This is a helpful structured list from which we can create backlog issues.

We can report progress here as we get to them.

Thanks @jonathon for the fast reply. I’m looking forward to use more Speckle :+1:

Hi @jonathon and @bjoern,
did you have a chance to tackle this in the meantime. We would have a fresh project which is screaming for ETABS and Grasshopper.

Thanks for a brief reply.

All the best,
Alex

Hey @AlexHofbeck,

Awesome to hear! I am working through the above list posted from @Jazi this week. Sorry for the delay but you should hear back from me again soon :soon: :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Hey @Jazi, @AlexHofbeck,

I’ve been going through the list of items and cannot provide answers to everything, yet, but some observations from my side:

Modifiers to CSIElement2D and CSIElement1D - agreed. I also tried using a generated vector of doubles using the C# Script component with no luck. I’ll have to look at this one closer.

Problem with creating walls - a wall is defined by it’s bounding nodes (in GH world). Some notes here:

• Is the order of the passed nodes correct? Simply using the DeBrep component may lead to twisted shells which won’t be received. Illustratively, using a simple example:

• After cleaning the geometry up (i.e. correct sequence of nodes to construct a planar untwisted surface):

• On a larger scale, working niiiiiiicely:

Defining materials - this should be simpler. By using the correct string inputs, we can directly access the properties from the ETABS database. Judging by the designCode string input, you’re using European standards. Some comments from me:

• Using European databases, make sure the model was setup using the same parameters:

• The following strings are availabe for Concrete (just by accessing the .xml files from ETABS):

• A more simplified definition by leveraging the database:

• In my example, everything is pulling through nicely (w multiple concrete grades)

As for the other items (listed below), these remain on my radar :cool_spockle:.

• Diaphragms
  • Storeys and grid data
  • End releases

I hope this somewhat helps!

2 Likes

Hey @AlexHofbeck, @Jazi,

:newspaper_roll: Update:

In the next release, you will have the ability to define the following for your ETABS models in Grasshopper:

• Assign stiffness modification factors to 1D and 2D elements
  • Create and assign diaphragms
  • Assign end-releases to 1D elements
  • Create grid systems

That just leaves storeys and loads from the original list (I’ll keep you posted on these :cool_spockle: ).

I’ll drop another message here when the updates are available in Manager (also a with a sample GH Script for defining all of the above).

cc: @BIM_Wash

3 Likes

nice job @bjoern! We will try it out next week! The Beer is on me next week :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just the messenger :smiley_spockle: Shoutout to the team and @AlanRynne for getting those GH components updated!

1 Like

Thank you, I looking forward to test it. The sample GH-Script would be realy usefull.

1 Like

Nice seeing you back on the Forum @Jazi :slight_smile: ! Will send a GH Sample Script when the connector updates are available on Manager :cool_spockle:

Hey @AlexHofbeck, @Jazi,

See below changelog which also includes some sample GH scripts.

1 Like