gbXML from Revit to Speckle

Instead of exporting to a gbXML-file from Revit I wonder if it would be possible to send the same information to Speckle?

Hey Max, good suggestion!

While Speckle will probably not be able to comply fully with the gbXML schema it should be able to let you get out most of that information, if available in the model.
At the moment, you can already get rooms’ volumetric information out, what else would you need as a minimum requirement?

Hi MaxT,

If you were to attempt this I highly recommend using Conceptual Masses as the basis for the gbXML.

All other native Revit gbXML production methods tend to produce sloppy surfaces and surface type assignments in the gbXML.

You may already know about the Spider gbXML Viewer. If not, have a look at Revit gbXML output and you will probably observe much if not all of the behavior described above.

Best wishes,
Jake

1 Like

Thanks Jake, my problem is that I can not use the native gbXML export since I run Revit in viewer mode. Would it be possible to create conceptual masses based upon roooms or spaces in an exsiting model and use this as base for gbXML export? I have used the Spider gbXML viewe but unfortunatly it has a tenddensy to create stray triangulated surfaces.

Hi MaxT,

Please see this short writeup for a description of the workflow I use to create conceptual masses based on spaces. An image of the Dynamo graph used to automate mass production by space is included below.

What you are observing in Spider gbXML Viewer is not its tendency. It is the tendency of what you are using to create the gbXML. You can confirm this by reviewing the raw gbXML file with a simple text editor. XML Notepad is another nice utility to have on hand to review gbXML files.

Best wishes,
Jake

1 Like

Thanks a lot, do you know if it would be possible to preview the solid geometry in Revit similar to grasshopper?

The Dynamo graph above places a Mass family instance for each Space in the Revit project. So yes, you will see the solid geometry in Revit.

-Jake

1 Like