Excel - ReferenceError - TextDecoder is not defined

It works indeed with Chrome !

I think for me this solution through a web browser is perfect :slight_smile:

maybe you will face the same issue with Power BI ? You might want to check that

1 Like

Thanks for confirming @BaudouinNP ! The Power BI connector is set up in a different way, so wonā€™t have this issue.
Although it means we have to fight with its power query language :nauseated_face:

is there a possibility for a solution to this that doesnā€™t require updating windows? in most production environments, individual users arenā€™t able to update their Excel or Windows, and even if they can, itā€™s a significant barrier to adoption

To avoid that weā€™d need to find a replacement for TextDecoder, exactly used here:

Feel free to explore options! But Iā€™m a bit reluctant to go that way since Internet Explorer has been officially discontinued :grimacing:

thanks @teocomi!

I checked the version of Windows and Excel that I am running and based on the page you linked above, it appears that the Add-In is running with Microsoft Edge with original WebView (EdgeHTML) (e.g. not Internet Explorer, but also not Chromium-based Edge). I am getting the TextDecoder error on Desktop, but it works fine in the browser.

MDN indicates that TextDecoder support was added to Edge in version 79, which (unsuprisingly?) is the first chromium-based version.

So it appears that despite IEā€™s depreciation, there is still no guarantee that TextDecoder is available. Iā€™m not quite sure what the next steps are, but thought Iā€™d share the results of my digging.

Thanks for digging into it David!
I think at this point itā€™s worth opening an issue to look at possible alternatives, see: ObjectLoader: TextDecoder not supported in old browsers Ā· Issue #407 Ā· specklesystems/speckle-server Ā· GitHub

Itā€™d be worth also trying to update your Edge and seeing if that goes away?

1 Like

Sounds good - unfortunately, updating Edge is beyond my control. (ā€œSome settings are managed by your organizationā€ā€¦)

Same thing in my case too. Although using the browser version solves the problem, many end users will not take the trouble.

2 Likes

@gokermu and @BaudouinNP

Weā€™re trying to fix this issue for good now but are struggling to reproduce it, could you please:

• try see if itā€™s fixed already by any chance with some of the latest updates?
  • tell us exactly which version of IE is being used by your Excel? To do so check out the gif below

Thanks!

Not solved on my end @teocomi.
SSL: On

Apparently @gokermu had an older version of Excel installed, which was not reporting the rendering engine version. He got over the TextDecoder issue with updating Excel itself.

2 Likes

Yep :partying_face:, after I downloaded a newer version of Excel, I donā€™t get the Error anymore. :tada:

2 Likes

Hi, I am trying to import from Revit columns into Excel and I come across this error: Something went wrong: TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading ā€˜referencedIdā€™)

I have tried on Edge (Version 97.0.1072.55) and Firefox 96.0.

In the Windows version of Excel I receive this error: Something went wrong: ReferenceError ā€˜TextEncoderā€™ is not defined

Hey @mtam,

regarding the TextEncoder issue, we still have a hard time to get a handle on, where it comes from, because we cannot recreate an environment that produces this issue. Could you post a screenshot with the connector details as shown above?

Regarding the referencedId maybe @teocomi can help.

Hey @mtam yes the the referencedId one sounds like another little bug. Could you please share the stream in question with me so I can replicate it?

Also @gokermu had a commit, that produced the referencedId issue.