Errors in grasshopper after installation of speckle

I have rhino version 7.3.21039.11201. I am running Windows 10 - 64 bit. I recently installed SpeckleRhino-1.6.10.rhi. It was my first installation of speckle ever. Then I realized there’s a recent version of speckle available. So I installed version 1.8.31.
I am having a long list of errors after I launch Grasshopper. I ran the setup in administrator mode.

Please help.

Hi archz2, welcome to the forum!

Speckle v1 has not been tested in Rhino 7, so I’m not really sure what’s happening.
Any chance you could try in Rhino 6?
Which other Rhino/GH plugins do you have installed?

Alternatively, we have recently released a beta of Speckle v2, this new version works well in Rhino 7 and Grasshopper, here are the instructions on how to get started: Speckle Manager | Speckle Docs, please note that you’ll need a v2 server to use it. For testing purposes, you can use our staging server at http://staging.speckle.dev/ (no uptime guaranteed, it’s our test server :smiley: ).

1 Like

Thanks. I am not getting the errors anymore after installation of Speckle v2. They were appearing on Rhino 6 as well. I removed the Speckle Rhino Plugin folder before posting here. The folder was located in the following location.

…AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Speckle Rhino Plugin

However, there’s a Grasshopper file that I have which was using an earlier version of Speckle. It was opening fine earlier but now I get this error.

That shows this error.

I have the following plugins installed. I got a list from a custom Grasshopper C# component.
Kangaroo2

Noise 4D

Anemone
Axolotl
Bifocals
Blindfold
Bowerbird2
ChopChop
Chromodoris
MarchingCubes
DendroGH
Element

Fattener
Fractals
Graph_GH
Groundhog
GhGumball
Heteroptera
Human
Impala

Ivy
Kangaroo Components
Ironbug
MeshEdit
Mesh Pipe
MetaHopper
Millipede
Moonlight
NGon 2.1
Nuclei
Voxelisation
Octopus
OpenNest
Palette
Pancake
Parakeet
PlanarMesh
PlanktonGh
Pufferfish
SnappingGecko
Starling
Stella
Tree8
HDTTreeUtils
treesloth01
Wombat
Culebra_GH
DeCodingSpaces
ElkGHComponents
LunchBox
LunchBoxML
Speckle 2
Platypus
Colibri
TT Toolbox
Spectacles.GrasshopperExporter
Volvox
Monolith
karambaGH
RhinoNest
PTComponentLibrary
ClipperComponents
MeshMachine
Weaverbird
Bison

DeCodingSpaces_StreetNetwork_Utilities

V-Ray For Grasshopper 7

The script that uses old version of Speckle is this.
next stadium part 02_skin.gh (25.4 KB)

The missing component looks like this.

I was able to get it by dragging and dropping SpeckleGrasshopper.gha on the Grasshopper canvas in Rhino 7

I have this .gha in the following location.

C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Speckle Rhino Plugin (512d9705-6f92-49ca-a606-d6d5c1ac6aa2)\SpeckleGrasshopper.gha

1 Like

Hi @archz2!

As you uninstalled the Speckle 1.8 version, any files that would use those nodes will throw an error an either:

• The node will dissapear (Rhino 6), or
  • The node will appear white (new feature in Rhino 7)

By copying only the .gha file you’ll manage to get the nodes to appear, but they won’t work as they will be missing all the other libraries necessary for Speckle 1.8 to properly function.

If using Speckle 2 is an option for you, I’d recommend to just leave Speckle 1 uninstalled and switch all your sender and receivers to the Speckle 2, which we are testing in Rhino 6 and 7.

If you do need Speckle 1 for any specific reason, once you’ve reinstalled it, could you run the GrasshopperLoadOneByOne command to check which plugin is throwing this exception and when? This usually happens when there’s a conflict between different 3rd party components.

Also as a last option, could you try modifying the load mechanism of Speckle 1 to disk in the Grasshopper Settings panel → Solver

2 Likes

Okay. Yeah. I would not like to go back to earlier version as it is giving me errors. How do I switch my senders and receivers to speckle 2 version?

Hi @archz2 ,
You just need to download and install the new Speckle connector as per these instructions then you can simply replace the old nodes with the new ones. Let us know if you need any further help!

I went through the documentation and cannot figure out which of the node should I replace with new ones.

I am having trouble with the data receiver component from Speckle 1. Speckle 2 does not have any component by this name.

There are ‘local receive’ and ‘receive’ components which are related to data receiving. Which one should I use?

You should use the one named Receive. Please note that Speckle 2.0 is not compatible with Speckle 1.0, so you should replace the sender node also, and send the data to a Speckle 2.0 server using an account configured in your Speckle Manager.

We’re working on improving the docs to make the process clearer. Meanwhile, the sender and receiver should look like this (stream must already exist in the server).