Editor streaming

Thanks for the prompt response @teocomi - it’s not a total deal breaker as pulling in the latest and greatest data from a stream is probably OK as long as I test it first – it’s the graphical limitations of the Hololens 2 really that I am slightly worried about.

On a slightly different thread - I was looking at the Revit / Rhino / Unity tutorial this morning and noticed that the start commit / end commit links don’t seem to be linked to anything yet, is there a repo for this tutorial that I can look at?

Ouch, good find :slight_smile:
I’ve just updated the links and pointed them to start and finish. Please let me know if you find any other inconsistencies hehe!

1 Like

Top man, thanks.

Will do. Hopefully I can provide some useful input / feedback as I dig into Speckle further :smiley:

that could definitely work! :slight_smile: Would love to get my first commit into the speckle-verse :comet:

There are some lingering comments and thoughts that should be addressed before doing a pr to a test branch. The main issues that I’d like to address is how the Dispatcher could work within the editor. The logic that helps with thread protection held in a coroutine and that seems to be the culprit for blocking the editor from achieving dopeness.

1 Like

Not sure what graphic components you’re exactly worried about, but if it’s anything around model / mesh rendering you could instance a prefab of any loaded mesh into your editor during runtime and throw that into a test .apk. :test_tube: I did this when poking at the Quest2 performance :dark_sunglasses: :bar_chart:

1 Like

Hi @haitheredavid
Interesting - I have tried this by dragging the loaded mesh into a folder in assets but the prefab was missing all of the mesh objects - ie empty mesh filters? Am I missing something super obvious?

@NigeDemo Huh well it work with the speckle 1 in unity! Sorry for the mistaken info, I just tested it with speckle 2 and I was wrong with saying that process would work. :thinking: Not sure what would cause the change in that since both connectors are in version 2020.

I’ll make some time to dig into this and follow up with any info

1 Like

@haitheredavid - no problem. I was wondering if it might be a Unity issue but it looks like its probably not. Thanks for getting back to me

2 Likes

(lil mental note!) Just took a quick peek into this and it seems like the way meshes are assigned to the filter is causing the meshes from being saved. Seems to be a straightforward change! I’ll test it in my branch and if it works push it along in my next commit.

3 Likes

Good convo here :slight_smile:
David, keen to chat re dispatcher if that’s a blocker for you to merge stuff!

1 Like

Gotta get those discourse flare ya know! :dark_sunglasses: I’ve set aside some time today to work through the dispatcher, we could touch base on it tomorrow at the standup? It seems like unity has a somewhat stable package for editor coroutines that we can rely on for this fix.

1 Like

Sounds great! Yes, let’s chat right after standup :slight_smile:

@teocomi Was able to get some good juju going tonight with using the Editor Coroutine Package with the Dispatcher! I thought it was freezing and crashing but few seconds later some nice lil’ meshes appeared in the scene. I’ll have to play around with this a bit more to get the editor from locking up. I also noticed a few errors getting thrown for the mesh creation, something to do with mesh leaking… not sure what that is but I’ve got my fingers crossed that it will be something related to the instancing of loaded meshes conversation above

3 Likes

This is most awesome work @haitheredavid

1 Like

Hey @haitheredavid quick update on this, I’ve been through your code and it seems the dispatcher is not needed for receiving in Editor mode :slight_smile:
I’m cleaning some things up and will then push some updates this week!

2 Likes

@teocomi ah that’s terrific! Looking forward to seeing the updates :muscle: I’ve been migrating away from the dispatcher and utilizing the c# Job system instead. Still a wip, gotta get myself moved down to mexico in t-minus 13 hours :mexico: :flight_arrival:

Side note- Since our last chat about the VD, I’ve been chugging along with migrating from speckle v1 to v2. It’s been helpful to see how the Kits and Converters actually get implemented :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll keep you posted! Let us know if we can help with the transition to v2 and best of luck with the move! :taco:

1 Like

Oh yeah, love reading this. I’ve been banging my head against the wall of Revit to Max to Unity this last week :raised_hands: :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey both!
I’ve just merged some of David’s code into master and now we have editor time receiving :partying_face:

I’ve not tested it throughoutly and I still get some messages about “meshes leaking”, but please go ahead and give it a spin!

@haitheredavid
Once you’re back operative ping me as I’d like to show you some of the changes I’ve done, and as well ask you a couple of things :wink:

4 Likes

Woo hoo :partying_face: :raised_hands: - that’s brilliant. I’ll have a poke around with this over the next couple of days.

2 Likes