Deploying Speckle Server Using Docker

Hello again,

I am trying to deploy a Speckle server using Docker as part of a few tests I am trying to run and am encountering some issues. I followed the steps in the user guide for deploying the server on a virtual machine for reference for what happens next.

I am receiving the following error “504 DNS look up failed” and I have searched for what might be the cause of this and haven’t managed to find any solution.

I am using a Windows virtual machine at the moment running WSL2. The server says it is deployed but I can’t access the page. What could be the reason behind this?

Thank you for your help.

Hi @HadiAram - thanks for trying out Speckle.

Are you trying to access speckle at http://127.0.0.1 or http://localhost? These should not have resulted in a DNS look-up error.

If you are instead trying to use a domain, you will need to update your domain name provider to point your domain (or sub-domain) to the public IP address of your virtual machine? (This typically requires updating the DNS A Record). You will also need to add your domain name to the CANONICAL_URL environment variable, and the other environment variables as described in our guide.

Iain

I was trying to use a domain. Thank you for the help, I will check to see if there is anything I forgot to change, though I did change the canonical url to the one I was using. I will see what I missed there, probably the public IP address.

Thank you for the help.

1 Like

Hi @iainsproat I have a follow up question.

When changing the values of the canonical url and other variables as described in the guide, I find I can access the server when logging in to local host but not when trying to use the domain name I entered in canonical url.

Is that how it is supposed to work or am I misunderstanding a part of the guide?

Hi @HadiAram

Docker Compose should work with both localhost and a domain name.

There’s a lot that can go wrong when using a domain; mostly related to DNS, network connections, and firewalls. I’ll need some more information about the symptoms before we can understand what’s wrong.

What is the error message shown in your browser window?

If you open DevTools in your browser (instructions for Chrome), what is the error message (if any) shown in the console tab?

Can you use the dig tool (either on your computer if you have it installed, or online using Google’s toolbox ) to confirm whether the correct IP address for your host machine is returned as the A record.

Are you able to establish a connection with the domain or IP address? Perhaps using telnet or similar.

Does Docker show the container as running when configured to use a domain? Are there any log messages shown when the container starts up?

Are you running Docker Compose in a virtual machine, or on a physical machine? Does the machine have connection to the public internet?

Hope this helps diagnose the issue,

Iain

The error message shown in the browser window is “504 DNS look up failed”.

I tried opening the DevTools page for Chrome but can’t find any error message.

Docker says the server is running and it say there is an error without specifying.

I am running Docker Compose on a virtual machine.