C3D to Revit Manhole Chambers

@clrkng When I use speckle to link my C3D model into revit, the pipes come through as the pipes I have modelled but the manhole chambers come through as just generic models with no information within them compared to the information they have in C3D. Is this something that is being looked at?

Also when i do use speckle between C3D and revit it does create the network fine, great for coordination purposes but if i cannot update that ‘exported’ network, it creates a brand new network each time meaning that i could potential have multiple duplicates of the same item.

Final thing, when i ‘export’ it back from revit to C3D, it comes through as a wire mesh. The project is very confidential so I cannot share it. I am also very new to speckle so i do not know much about it or if there is something that i have to do my end to resolve this. Whether it is as simple as changing the name of the commit (if there is a way).

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Chris97 , currently pipes are sent as Pipe objects from C3D and also received as Pipe objects in Revit, but manhole chambers are not supported yet as a type of object in Speckle. This means that when you send a manhole chamber part from C3D, we are actually creating a Mesh object representing that part which is why it is being received in Revit as a generic model. This is also why it comes back into C3D as a wire mesh.

You can refer to the supported elements doc for a full list of object types our connectors currently support when sending and receiving.

I’m not sure when we’ll be able to add support for additional parts in C3D (@Pavol ) but will keep this in mind to better address MEP workflows!

Regarding this, in Speckle we advocate for a forward-only updating workflow due to the nature of how objects are created natively in each receiving application, as well as the lossy transfer limitations that are presented across applications (some objects that exist in C3D for example don’t have a direct counterpart in Revit). Therefore updating from C3D ->Revit should work well, but updating the same elements back from Revit-> C3D can be expected to pose issues.

We do understand that bidirectional updating would be very useful for certain workflows however, so we could follow up with you to understand better what you’re trying to achieve with that :slight_smile: