Automated Room-Based 3D View Generation and Speckle Integration for Revit Projects

Hello community,

I want to showcase a work in progress. The full picture is to create an automated workflow to keep the BIM-Based Digital Twin platform updated using Speckle. This part aims to:

• Automatically divide the model using a room-based selection of elements.
  • Generate 3D views for these divisions.
  • Send these 3D views to Speckle to feed the Digital Twin app.

LINK TO THE POST ON LINKEDIN

Nonetheless, I felt it was worth showcasing because I was able to achieve this integration within my own plugin. Working in Revit2023 and Revit2024.

The music in the background is just a touch to share how fun it is to code with merengue :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet:.

Next steps →

• Get the target stream from UI as input (or create a new one if does not exist);
  • Implement functionality to Publish All, instead of one by one;
  • Collect the speckle ids of uploaded branches and elements (This would allow to link the 3D object in the Digital Twin with other data);
  • Improve the plugin UI design and feedback to the user;

Thanks for any suggestion or comment!

8 Likes

Super cool!! :starstruck_spockle:

I can see this being something many others will want to do :smiley: Is this something you will release to the public in one way or another?

Have you already started working on the Digital Twin side of things, or will that be done later?

1 Like

Yes I plan to public this set of tools, inside Revit, but it will still take some work :sweat_smile:. I think I could really use feedback from other users applying this into their projects.

Regarding the part of the Digital Twin, is being developed as well. Using Unreal Engine I have already hack a bit the Speckle Plugin to get the parameters of the elements (Until now just in a Test project). I need to create the some Kind of Login or authentication, receive the updates into the Digital Twin platform as the Speckle Web App does and some other features, to only then implement it into the Digital Twin project…

I will try keep posting the advances regarding this project. I am really looking forward to see it working soon.

2 Likes

After a week of sharing the post of this work in progress, i wanted to share an update of the development.

UPDATES

• [DONE] Get the target stream from UI as input (or create a new one if does not exist);
  • [DONE] Collect the speckle ids of uploaded branches and elements (This would allow to link the 3D object in the Digital Twin with other data);
  • [DONE] Mapping of existing Building in Digital Twin platform.

PROBLEMS

• Implement functionality to Publish All → This throw exceptions, in the speckle transport class, somehow I must guarantee that one view finish to publish before send the next one.

THOUGHTS

• This two completed tasks, bring more flexibility when publishing to speckle the project, allowing to select an existing stream or create a new one.
  • Using the Digital Twin credentials it is possible to also map the rooms and fractions in the project, so the branches in speckle would be named with the Digital Twin Ids (To easy future queries from Digital Twin app, to speckle server). Digital twin app still under development.
  • Speckle Ids, are being also referenced in the Digital Twin app so the 3D representation of the elements can be connected with other data sources.

NEX STEPS

• Implement functionality to Publish All;
  • Identify if the divisions already exists in the selected branch;
  • What if? There is NO active speckle client;
  • Improve the plugin UI design and feedback to the user;

Thanks for any suggestion or comment!

1 Like