Actualization of powerBI online dashboards fails

Hi everybody,

In my exploration of Specke and PowerBI, I have another feedback to give you :slight_smile:

After the publication of a Power BI Desktop Dashboard online to Power BI (Web), it is theoretically of course possible to update your online dashboard with the changes you have been doing on the Desktop App.
In our case, we face an error because of the data source → Speckle :slight_smile:

Did you meet this problem before ?

Here are some forum contents that might be helpful:

1 Like

Hey @BaudouinNP ,

@AlanRynne might correct me, but I think that’s because our Speckle connector has not been published yet to the Microsoft Store and so it won’t work in PoerBI online.

We definitely have this on our roadmap and will keep you up to date!

2 Likes

This is a “limitation” in PowerBI’s side. As far as I’m aware, the only way to refresh a custom connector online is by setting up your own on-premises data gateway.

Would it be possible for you to explain a little what is this on-premises data getaway ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, I know as much as it says in the docs linked above. I have no experience with on-premises data gateways but as I understand it it’s just a computer, somewhere on the internet, that will do the refreshing for you.

Since you have control over that machine, it will allow you to run any custom connector in it.

Hola, para hacerlo, solo se puede en “Gateway Personal Mode”
Pasos:

1. Descarga e instala “Gateway Personal Mode” Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI
  2. en el Menú del Gateway ->Conectores, verifica que el “Custom Connector Speckle” sea reconocido, para aquello talvez tendrás que guardar el conector en la carpeta que aparece por defecto en mi caso, tuve que crear y guardar el conector en la carpeta que detecta automáticamente el Gateway, me refieroa: C:\Users\xx\Documents\Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors
  3. Al realizar estos cambios ya debería aparecer en power bi online en el modelo de dato → Semantic model >Gateway and cloud connections y >Data source credentials
    en la sección de Data source credentials, deberás actualizar las credenciales, en mi caso fue por token (Key), ya que no funcionó de otra manera. También fíjate si tienes otra fuente de datos que se combine con speckle, tienen que tener ambos el mismo nivel de seguridad, cuando actualices las credenciales, es decir, ambos “Organizativo” o “Público”

Saludos

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your findings @JhnA_C !

For the reference of the original topic (all credits and critics to google translate):

1 Like