Sketchup connector not receiving Revit elements as components

Hey guys,

With the latest material support in Speckle, I decided to try a Revit to Sketchup workflow using speckle. But one thing came to my attention that Revit geometry received is not structured at all. They are received as surfaces and lines, no component or layer information. I think it would be great to receive Revit categories as layers for instance. Or any other info.

Other than that, receiving materials works just fine. Great job @izzylys

1 Like

Hey @gokermu, thanks for trying out the connector! :sparkles:

In the speckleverse, component instances / groups are called Blocks - these are objects with a definition (geometry) and a transform (position). The reason Revit elements do not come in as instances is because they aren’t blocks but are rather objects with display meshes.

At the moment, the sketchup connector is very unopinionated and receives stuff as is. It looks through all objects coming in and converts anything that is geometry. If your data contains any Blocks (which are currently only creatable in Blender, AutoCad, and Rhino I believe? @clrkng may correct me) then it will create a component definition and instance out of that Block.

There are totally more complex ways to handle Revit objects in particular, but it would likely involve changing the structure of your incoming data. I am open to doing this though, but would need some discussion with people like you who would be using SketchUp and Revit together so we can arrive at a solution that works well for the majority of people. Happy to have a chat on this / anyone else who might be reading and wants to share their opinion!

4 Likes

Got it. I think all Revit objects should be received as groups/components in Sketchup. Receiving them as is causes a lot of problem especially in intersections. Lets say I received rooms from Revit as well, since rooms fill the given space, they intersect with wall faces etc. Overlaying faces will need a lot of cleanup.

Definitely, whenever you want.

2 Likes