Receiving colour / materials in Unreal

Just tested and runtime material receiving works fine off master. You said you did a merge? perhaps there was a conflict.

Also could you try grabbing the latest blender connector from SpeckleManager and seeing if the open cylinder issue persists.

Let me know if you are interested in a voice call at somepoint.

I thought that I had the latest Blender connector.
Speckle Manager says this:

but in my Blender I have an older version: 0.2.0

Strange. I will updated it manually.
Best,
D.

Nice catch, It looks like the version number that’s shown inside blender is not the same version numbering that the manager uses.

I’ve send you my email adress, if you could send me the blender file that would be great!

I can recreate your issue with the Blender connector and have oppend an issue 🛢️ N-Gon face sending · Issue #56 · specklesystems/speckle-blender · GitHub

No need to send me the blender file, it apears to affect all N-gon faces (faces with n verticies) such as the default circles and cylinders.

I’ve also opend an issue to have the Unreal connector support N-gons since currently it only supports triangles and quads. N-Gon face conversion · Issue #22 · specklesystems/speckle-unreal · GitHub

Thank you for discovering this!

1 Like

Thanks,

another issue for Blender 2.93 is that it won’t start if I don’t start Speckle Manager. It seems that Blender Speckle Plugin waits indefinetely for connection. It doesn’t seem to be asynchronously loading.

Best,
Dimitrios

Hi Dimitrios,

Any luck with setting up git submodules?
I’m struggling to get a setup that works my end, it doesn’t appear that git submodules allows you to checkout a sub directory of a repo, and ideally, you would only want to checkout speckle-unreal/SpeckleUnrealProject/Plugins/SpeckleUnreal/ directory.

It might be possible for us to change the Unreal repo to have the plugin as the root, and then provide the example project on a seperate repo. This might be a requirement for publishing our plugin on the Unreal Marketplace anyway, so I would be happy to investigate it.

Let me know what you think.

Unfortunately haven’t test it at all. The option with two repos is not very convenient as we are working many people here in PrismArch on the Unreal project and updates are difficult to do manually. We have also other plugins apart from Speckle should be occasionally updated such as Cesium maps. I will try submodules next week.
Best,
Dimitiros

Hi Jedd,
I have managed to add all the Plugins for Unreal as submodules for my big project. However, the main issue with speckle-unreal is that it is not a plugin but a project. To tell the truth, it doesn’t matter, but it makes the speckle-unreal to look bad as a plugin. Perhaps, it is indeed better to split speckle-unreal into a project template, e.g. Speckle Unreal Template, and a plugin, it can be the speckle-unreal

I am copying pasting my notes. It is a synopsis of Git - Submodules site that I have used. If you do not like commands you can use “Turtoisegit”, I think it is the best free git client with submodules support but I have preferred the command line in order to be more flexible :slight_smile:

Commands to Add a submodule into an Unreal project

Step Action Command
1 Make a folder and go there mkdir Plugins
2 Add submodule git submodule add https://github.com/PrismArch-H2020/speckle-unreal
3 Add and Commit git commit -am “Add Speckle for Unreal module”
4 Push git push origin main

Troubleshooting:

message Remedy
-a does not make sense Linux needs single quotes for messages, e.g. ‘Add Speckle for Unreal module’, whereas Windows needs double quotes

Actions to remove a submodule (in case you have installed it in wrong path)

To remove a submodule you need to:

Step Action
1 Delete the relevant section from the .gitmodules file.
2 Stage the .gitmodules changes git add .gitmodules
3 Delete the relevant section from .git/config
4 Run git rm --cached path_to_submodule (no trailing slash).
5 Run rm -rf .git/modules/path_to_submodule (no trailing slash).
6 Commit git commit -m "Removed submodule "
7 Delete the now untracked submodule files rm -rf path_to_submodule
1 Like

Check also what Cesium has done for their plugin: cesium-unreal/developer-setup.md at main ¡ CesiumGS/cesium-unreal ¡ GitHub

1 Like

Hi Dimitrios,

Thanks for the detailed notes on submodules :partying_face: :raised_hands:
These will definitly save me some time :smiley:

I think splitting the repo makes sense, I’ll try and get around to doing this this week, otherwise it will have to be next week sorry.

1 Like

Great I am waiting for the split !

1 Like

@Jedd Any update on the texture support feature or a possible timeline? :slight_smile:

1 Like