Question: How can I get all stream data into Excel

Hi there,
it’s my very first post here and my question is fairly simple: is there a way to get into Excel ALL data included in a stream at once (meaning all data contained in each sub-branch of whatever commit)?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Paolo

1 Like

Hi @Paolo!

Let me first welcome you to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself 🙆 if you feel like it!

As for your question, I don’t think there is a way to fetch all branches at once from excel (or any other connector for that matter).

Could you provide a bit more detail on your use-case?

1 Like

Hi @AlanRynne,
thank you for your kind reply.

I’m using Excel and I’m testing Speckle for an ipotetical workflow of pushing data from Excel into Speckle using it as a database.
Basically I will have several users that daily are pushing data (read, a single line or more per day) concerning building data (dwg number, client, building type, dimensions, use, drafter, date, etc).
My question was about retrieving all such data stored in Speckle in a sort of tabular view back in Excel for further analysis and action (VBA macros I created).

My attempt so far in retrieving such data back in Excel with the Speckle connector were only possible for a specific branch and for a specific commit.
So if that’s a limit of the Excel connector (or as you say of any other connector) then I’m asking if there’s another way around to access the Speckle data of a stream in a sort of SQL or any other DB query.

Thank you again for your support.
Have a nice day

Paolo

P.S. in the near future I’ll be using Speckle with Revit and Dynamo as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ciao Paolo,

What you’re building sounds super cool, but it goes a bit beyond the typical use case of the Excel connector.
I’d suggest you instead to explore these solutions as well:

• aggregating the require data in a single branch before it gets inside excel. For instance you can do than inside Dynamo by using a Dictionary (which in turns creates a Base objects once in Speckle-land)
  • more advanced and more powerful: roll out your own tabular interface, and Dim made a very nice tutorial on this

Let us know if you have any more questions, we’re happy to help!

1 Like

Ciao Matteo,
thanks for you valuable help!
I’ll investigate the possibilities you advised.
Have a nice day