Question: Future interoperability between Tekla and Revit?

I know the Tekla Connector is in Alpha. I successfully sent a column and a beam from Tekla 2021 to Speckle v2 and it looks good in the viewer.

Curiously I received the same Stream in Revit 2022. The placement of the Beam and Column looks correct, but obviously the stream has not enough information about Revit Family and Type, so the steel-profile in Tekla was created as a random Concrete Rectangular profile in Revit.

What are the future thoughts or possibility regarding this kind of interoperability?
Obviously one has to create a mapping in some way. Like, when Tekla says xxx beam type, that means yyy Family Type in Revit.

5 Likes

Hi @Magneg !

Great timing on this problem. I’m actually working on it right now as we speak. So it’s coming. Stay put !

Cheers,
Reynold

3 Likes

In regards to this we don’t have a specific answer yet! We’re investigating what’s possible within the Tekla environment at the moment. For instance, we might let users specify family and type and attach them to each tekla object.

Maybe you have any suggestions on how we could do so?

3 Likes

Hi @Reynold_Chan !

Is there any progress with this problem?

Cheers,
Maks

1 Like

Hi @Maks_T !

yes there’s some more interoperability now. We’ve recently released a direct Mesh option in where you can import your tekla model as a direct shape in Revit or vice versa. This should help in the mean time while we work more on the interoperability problems.

Cheers,
Reynold

1 Like

Hi @Maks_T & @Magneg ,

We have a mapping feature that is going to come out when we release Speckle 2.8 (scheduled for around September 1st). This feature is going to help with interop between many programs. Now you’ll be able to see types that are coming in from another program and map them to specific revit types. Here is a gif of what it currently looks like when importing from ETABS to Revit.
mappingFromEtabs

5 Likes

Nice! Can’t wait to use it!

2 Likes

PS
The 2.8 pre-release has this feature, any early feedback is very much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like