Publish Linked Revit Models

Okay, we were talking about the Speckle Connector (I was looking for an updated Manager). Update now complete.

That’s getting better!
Revit:

Rhino:

I guess I shouldn’t pester you for the categories that are missing … all things in their time.

3 Likes

Awesome!

Sorry I didn’t clarify what needed an update hehe, it was late here :wink:

Feel free to suggest what categories to add, missing features, or other bugs.
We’d be happy to look at them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done for the three most noticeable unsupported categories for this particular project.

1 Like

We’re planning to add a setting to configure whether linked models should be sent to Speckle or not.

Quick poll:

What should be the default behaviour?
  • Send linked models
  • Do not send linked models

0 voters

cc @bcall @DuncanNZ @Dickels112

how do you plan to tackle duplicate elementId’s coming from the linked models, when receiving the stream?

Good point @Dickels112 !
I think the most logical behavior would be to expand on what we currently do already when working on a single document:

• element 123 is being received
  • we loop through the current document to see if an element with the same id already exists
    • if not, we loop through all the linked documents as well
  • if found, we update/create/skip it based on the selected Receive Behaviour

It would probably also make sense to add a new Advanced Setting to always skip elements that belong to linked files… What do you think?

interesting question, apart from @teocomi’s answer.

I think you were also referring to the possibility of 2 completely different elements having the same element id in two different linked models. i.e.:

• A wall in the architectural model with id 12345
  • A beam in the linked structural model with id 12345

Is this right? If so, not sure if just checking in order as Matteo proposed will solve all edge-cases…

If you receive the beam in the architectural model… would we overwrite the wall? :thinking:

PS: Sorry for the edits, I pressed send to fast.

I think the safest thing would be to ignore linked files by default, so when sending and receiving. It can become quite problematic and risky when (new) users are not aware they modify linked files (for obvious reasons) or send data from linked files to another platform (Speckle server). Unintentionally sending linked models to the Speckle server could be an issue, for example, when you collaborate with external parties who might not want their model and data to be stored on a different platform.

2 Likes

This is anyway a great idea, then we can maintain origin of information

2 Likes

I think you were also referring to the possibility of 2 completely different elements having the same element id in two different linked models. i.e.:

• A wall in the architectural model with id 12345
  • A beam in the linked structural model with id 12345

IFC UID and Navis internals hashes File and Element ID to handle these.

Also, we’re not relying on the elementId, but on the longer guid-like internal id… I know that is not unique either but there are fewer chances for duplicates :wink:

2 Likes

Could you create a parameter for each of these linked elements that states the internal element id for the linked Revit file they are coming from? Then you could concatenate the two values to create a truly unique value and wouldn’t have to have anything overwrite.

For example:

Internal ID for Wall #1: 67890
Host Model Internal ID for Wall #1: 34567

Internal ID for Wall #2: 67890
Host Model Internal ID for Wall #2 65783

Then, when you need to have unique identifiers, you can concatenate like this 67890-34567 and 67890-65783

1 Like

Blockquote IFC UID and Navis internals hashes File and Element ID to handle these. <

this is the exact problem indeed.
the hash might be an interesting approach, then we can be sure it is unique, hashing based on uniqueId of project + uniqueId of element?

Hi!
Fresh new to the app, I was tensting it with a model with linked revit models, but I receive an erro message

Anyone know how should I proceed? Menawhile I am searching through th einternet some more instructions! \0/

1 Like

You can enable linked models form the “advanced settings”: Revit | Speckle Docs

NOTE: the UI has changed a bit :slight_smile:

We’ll improve that message to be more meaningful :slight_smile: Let us know if that works!

Found it! It worked! Thank you Matteo!

I am loving your work guys, thanks! \0/

3 Likes

Hi all,

I tried to send a model with their linked models but there is some error each time with the linked models (there is some element that is not created).

you can see that the roof is not present, and also some other elements.
I have also a question, is possible to merge some Branch of the same Stream in a only one model?

Thanks

Mirko

Kind of… :smiley: Federating Speckle Models

This is programmatically right now, but would certainly work for what you need.

1 Like

The good question at the good moment so :slight_smile:

1 Like