Power BI 3D Visual on Custom Server

Hello, I installed a personal Speckle server for evaluation because we are behind a corporate proxy and whitelist you will take a long time. The program is perfect. I had to add SPECKLE_SERVER as environmental variable (found in doc) to have my connector working well (due to proxy), but I still don’t see my rooms in PowerBI. I get the data well, have set my branch shared - appears as Unlisted now, instead of Public prior - as recommended, but data is yet not showed. Is there something I missed?
Thanks a lot,
Jacques

1 Like

Hey @japetit ,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself :person_gesturing_ok: to the community if you want to! :grinning:

As far as i remember, 3d visual currently only supports our Public servers and doesn’t support private servers. @AlanRynne can confirm if this is true.

Thank you Bilal for your answer.
By the way, do you plan to port this feature towards private servers?
Best regards,
Jacques

Hey @japetit ,

I just asked our Power BI developer and nothing should prevent 3d visual from visualizing your data as long as you can see the server from the computer you are running Power BI on. Can you make sure the project you are trying to visualize is set as Link Shareable or Discoverable?

Let me know if you are still having issues.

That’s good news !
However, I tried different settings (shareable, public, etc…) and never got the visual in PowerBI.
I get the data normally, and see everything in the tables.

But I do not understand where the diffence sits. As far as I understand the process, I got the data into PowerBI then we link it (indeed, we indicate the stream again for the viewer first…) and it should work (it’s supposed to be the same link that the one for the connector, isn’t it?).

Do you have some more tips to look at?

Best regards, and thank you for the support !

Hey @japetit ,

Can you please share the Speckle Model URL with us? You can send a DM if you don’t want to put it here.

Hello Bilal,

It would be great but I’m afraid I cannot.
We are behind a firewall and connections from outside are totally forbidden.
I can send screenshots however.
I’ll do it asap but need first to complete another task.
Best regards, and thank you again for the support.

Hey @japetit ,

It’s possible that either Power BI or your firewall is causing the problem, but it’s hard to say for sure. Unfortunately, I’m unable to provide support at the moment since I’m unable to reproduce the issue.

Indeed
I will try to install PowerBI on a machine in the same network directly, so normally, firewall and proxy configurations should not interfer.
I will keep you informed.
Thanks a lot

1 Like

@japetit , hi!
Did you manage to display the data in a 3D Power BI window?

Not yet as I’m currently busy on stg else, but I will as Speckle is still interesting.
I’m sure I will find how to fix this, so I’m looking at other aspects of the whole piece that I imagine.
My goal is to build a central repository for everything regarding our buildings, from where we can build tools and reports. Speckle is one piece, but I’m currently looking at BrickSchema, and how to expand to a BOS, … Any suggestion is welcome

I have the same ideas and the same problem at the moment. Please share your result if you manage to solve your problem

OK.
Glad to hear that you have the same ideas. One problem for me is that our config is strongly locked by IT policies… Will keep you informed.

1 Like

Today, many organizations have similar policies to NDAs. Therefore, @gokermu Speckle should pay attention to the display of the following 3D data in Pever BI, taking into account private servers

2 Likes