Limitations of the viewer? is my file now too big to process quick enough for an app

Hello,

I am creating a little app and previoulsy I just used the viewer to show the buidings massing surfaces- this worked fine load time wise.

I have now dared to scale it up- and I am now wanting to show roughtly 3000 facade panels, each with around 5 surfaces/lines within them.

When I load in my speckle data (which now included all this geometry) I am getting a lot of lag for when my script then wants to do further data operations.

I am just curious- is this kind of outside of the scope of the viewer, where my speckle commit has both geometry that I want to view, but before that, data that I want to analysis within python- I feel I may have hit a roadblock but keen to hear feedback.

This has had a few iterations. Can you get me up to speed on where this is implemented now? What are your building blocks?

The scale of the model itself doesn’t sound huge at all for speckle standards, so there might be some quirky logic. If you share with us the code/building blocks as Jonathon mentions, we can have a look and try and work out optimisations together!

1 Like

Hi @jonathon

Previously I had sent in two inputs, both just text strings, I could then work with those easilly in python and pass it up to a graph in streamlit. I then scaled this up a bit to show the corresponding massing (just rhino surfaces) in the speckle viewer within streamlit.

I then thought I would try passing up the actual surfaces I was analysing, which is around 40000 surfaces or so. I input the original two string lists and now all the geometry. When I try and work with the file in visual studio I am now getting a lot of performance issues- even when not trying to see the model in the viewer. The project is confidential- so I have sent you in a PM the link to the stream and the brief code I have written to simulate loading it in with the API to show performance. Please note that I have added a material to the surfaces in grasshopper- but I dont beleive this is the issue.