Create Grasshopper objects from Revit model without baking into Rhino

Hello!
I’m new to Speckle, and am trying to do some basic structural analysis of a Revit model in Grasshopper. I have received a Revit model of the building, and the intention is to parametricise the load take down as new levels keep getting added and removed, and this would (allegedly) be faster than recalculating manually each time.

I’ve been able to get the building into GH, and it shows up in the Rhino viewer with the required nodes. I can’t figure out how to manipulate these objects in GH though, because I would like to automatically calculate tributary areas on slabs, vary slab boundaries at various levels, and potentially use Karamba3D for column capacity checks. Is this possible at all, or am I wasting my time?

On a less crucial note, half the structure is visible with one of the Deconstruct blocks, and the other half is visible with another Deconstruct block- any ideas as to why this is?

1 Like

Hey @pa23 :wave:,

Welcome to the community! Feel free to Introduce yourself :person_gesturing_ok: to the community if you want to! :grinning:

Well, I am no Karamba expert but all the data from Revit (floor boundaries, column lines etc.) are there. So my first impression is, Yes, it is possible. If you stuck at a specific step that you are trying to achieve (getting boundaries, column sticks etc.) we can definitely help.

It is probably a nested family from Revit. First Deconstruct node, deconstructs the parent, second one deconstructs the child. Not sure tho.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Second part definitely answers my question.

I’m not sure where to go from the Deconstruct nodes. Everything I need to see is there, but I just can’t figure out how to interact with it. Trying to get a mesh for the floor slab and column sticks mainly for now.

Hey @pa23 ,

Things have changed a bit since we introduced collections, and we’re still working to get the right ergonomics in place.

This image shows how to get Walls’ meshes, for example, you can use similar logic to get the columns baselines.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks @teocomi this worked like a charm on the floors! Any idea how to get this to give me column lines rather than a mesh for the columns? And also, how would I extract column information e.g. dimensions and any material properties?

Once you get to the Revit elements you can deconstruct them to see their properties; in this case, the Structural Columns have a baseLine prop.
You can also access any Revit parameter and material quantities from there:

2 Likes